RETURN TO LEARN 2020
Click HERE to get these updates in email format.
Click HERE for COVID-19 Information & Updates.
Dear LCSD Families,
Although it may have been quite different this year, I do hope that you enjoyed the recent Thanksgiving holiday!
I want to bring you up to date regarding some important decisions our Board of Directors made at the last school board meeting this past Tuesday. The Board voted 3 to 2 to approve the return of in-person learning for students in grades 7–8th on December 7th. In addition, the Board approved the return of students in grades 9-12th on December 14th, providing that the transmission rates do not increase substantially in the meantime.
As you can imagine this was a heartfelt and a difficult decision for the Board which was based on the following rationale:
- Local data/information:
* Chelan and Chelan Falls COVID transmission rates are less than half that of Chelan County transmission rates
* There have been no COVID transmissions in our schools since re-opening on October 19th.
* LCSD has established and carried out, with success, COVID protocols & procedures
* Concerns about our students’ mental/emotional health, as documented by LCSD counselors, family advocates and law enforcement
* The substantial increase in student failure rates due to the lack of in-person learning and on campus support systems
* The growing “achievement gap”
- National trends: Transmission rates across the country have, generally, remained low in schools providing in-person learning
Due to concerns about the possibility of a rise in COVID-19 transmission rates following the Thanksgiving break, the Board has scheduled a special meeting on Wednesday, December 2nd at 5 pm. The purpose of the meeting will be to review the most current transmission rate data. If there is a noticeable spike in transmission locally, the Board will consider postponing in-person learning for students grades 7-12th.
You will be hearing from your school’s principal as we prepare for our next phase of returning students to in-person instruction. Principals will also be communicating on-line options for students who wish to remain learning remotely. There is a middle school zoom meeting scheduled for this evening at 6 pm. The link for the meeting is:
Meeting ID: 845 9903 9472
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
It is extremely important for you to assist your student in determining if they have COVID symptoms lasting more than 24 hours. In order for the LCSD to offer in-person learning we depend on your support, as follows:
- Follow the LCSD school protocols and the State COVID guidelines: social distance, masks, handwashing
- If you or a family member tests positive for COVID-19 inform the school nurse or building principal as soon as possible
- Please consult the updated SCREENING TOOL when deciding whether or not to send your child to school regarding COVID-like symptoms.
- Testing – check out our COVID section for testing sites nearby.
- Contact your school for any questions
As always, we sincerely appreciate your support and your cooperation!
Barry DePaoli, Superintendent
FLU SHOTS Please consider getting a flu shot, this is highly recommended by health officials, especially this year. Mark Johnson, former Navy Doctor and current physician at Confluence Health in Wenatchee specializes in infectious disease. He has prepared the following message explaining the importance of getting the flu vaccine and provides and update on COVID Vaccineshere:
MANGER MALL has a long-standing tradition of supporting families around the holiday season. This year it is absolutely REQUIRED to register in advance! Due to COVID-19, the event requires that families register before November 30th. Forms can be picked up at Chelan Valley Hope on Monday and Wednesday from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm or at Lake Chelan Food Bank on Tuesday and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 10 am. Their electronic internet registration is now open and can be accessed at:
English online registration | Spanish online registration
Click HERE if you would like to make a donation to the Manger Mall this year. You can also mail your donation to PO Box 477 in Chelan or they can be dropped off at the Cornerstone building on Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays & Saturdays.