What is CSI?
- NOT an alternative school, but a different option
- Pilot high school based on the Big Picture Learning model.
- Supports/builds on existing programs at CHS, Running Start, Tech Center, College in-the-High School, CTE Pathways
- CSI is another pathway for students to find their passion, talents, skills.
- Increased options for diverse array of students.
- Passion, relevance, and ownership are the vehicles for motivation and deeper, meaningful learning.
- Because one model doesn’t work for every student
CSI Guiding Philosophies
- Empower Self Discovery
- Promote & Support Design Thinking
- Inquiry-Based, Passion-Driven Learning is Deeper Learning
- Project-Based Learning Increases Collaboration and Critical Thinking
- The Achievement Gap Can be Closed by addressing the Opportunity Gap
- Foster an Entrepreneurial Growth Mindset
- Competency-Based Assessment Promotes Mastery Learning and Tells Each Students’ Story
- Students Need Advocates, Mentors, and a Support Network
- Non Cognitive Skills are Integral to Student Achievement
- Mistakes are a Foundation for Growth
CSI Learning Principles
- Leaning must be based on each student’s interests and needs.
- Curriculum must be relevant to the student and allow them to do real work in the real world.
- Student growth and abilities must be measured by the quality of their work and how it changes them.
CSI Learning Design
- Increase Collaboration Between Students and the Community
- Service Learning & Community Service Projects Required at all Levels–Tied to Senior Focus Project in 12th Grade
- Job Shadows for 9th and 10th
- Internships for 11th and 12th Grade Students
Learning Through Internships (LTI’s)
- High School Meets the Real World
- Students Paired with Industry Export Mentors
- Projects Connected to Student Interests/Passion
Grade Level Expectations
(documented evidence, reflection, and competency/credit completion)
- Semester Exhibitions
- Student Narratives
- LTIs – Job Shadows & Internships
- Personal Interest Projects
- Community Service
- Regular Attendance
- Evidence demonstrating growth/achievement of substantial learning in each Competency