The Washington Association of School Administrators’ (WASA) project, Inclusionary Practices: Statewide Support for District Change, with support from the Washington State School Directors’ Association (WSSDA), will provide professional learning and support to assist district leadership teams develop and implement plans as they move to more fully inclusive learning environments for students with disabilities. WASA’s target audience is district level leadership teams including superintendents or designee, special education and teaching and learning central office administrators, and school board members. These teams will be enhanced by including building level and teacher leaders as well as someone to serve as team facilitator (either an additional person or someone already named).
The specific goals of the project are to:
• Increase district supports/resources for teachers of targeted students
• Deepen district understanding of what is needed to implement the LRE/UDL work
• Change the allocation of students in LRE levels 1,2, and 3 from Spring 2019 to Spring 2021
• Increase the percentage of targeted students placed and successfully participating in core classes from 2018-19 to 2020-21
• Increase students’ perceptions of feeling safe/welcomed in their school from Fall 2020 to Spring 2021
In order to accomplish the goals listed above, WASA has engaged with Universal Design for Learning experts, most notably Dr. Katie Novak from Novak Educational Consulting of Groton, Massachusetts, to provide professional learning through facilitated webinars, book studies, and online courses.
The district has created an Inclusionary Practices Team (IPT) to lead and direct the project. The team includes representation from teachers, nurses, administrators, parents, and board members. This team will engage in learning and planning in order to bring this work to scale across the entire school community.
District Office: B. DePaoli, K. Knudson, S.Clarke, M.Collins – Intern
School Board: K. Thorpe
Parent: N. Campbell
Chelan HS: Brad Wilson, B. Hanson, H. Fox, S. Manthey, T. Domser
Chelan MS: Brian Wood, M. Christopherson
MOE: Erin Morin, J. Polley, M. Collins, S. Perez, C. Martin, T.
Migrant Coordinator: D. Galvan
Migrant Rep: E. Cisneros
English Learner Rep: A. Finch
Para/Nurse: E. Scroggie