LCSD Board Minutes 08/31/2021
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
DATE: August 31, 2021
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Hybrid meeting (in-person at District Learning Center and online)
PRESENT: Barry DePaoli, Jeff Fehr, Lynda Foster, Ken Brunner, Kim Thorpe, Barb Polley, Todd Hausman, Erin Morin, Brad Wilson, Scott Granger, Brian Wood, Eric Peterson, Trisha Schock, Bo Charlton, Sarah Clarke, KC Knudson, Cole Soreano, Amber Corrigan, Allen Tilbury, Briceida Gonzalez, Cailey Couch, Camish Hughbanks, Celine LaPierre, Cindy Bertomeu, Jerry Isenhart, Jennifer Polley, Jody Petersen, Kris Perry, Kristi Collins, Laura Clinton, Margaret Pearson, Michelle Fanton, Nicole Tilbury, Richard Uhlhorn, Rosemary Moller, Stephanie Fuller, Tammy Williams, Tara Cunningham, Susan Keller, Lindsay Wood, and Georgia Mashayekh
AGENDA ITEMS / PUBLIC REQUESTS – COMMENTS
- Call to Order
Jeff called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
- Approval of Agenda
Barry requested to remove the Food Service Report and requested to add 2 board resolutions.
Lynda moved and Kim seconded a motion to amend the agenda changes as requested; motion carried.
- Approval of Minutes – August 17, 2021
Barb moved and Ken seconded a motion to approve the minutes as presented; motion carried.
- Public Comments or Request on Non-agenda Items
There were no public comments.
BUILDING SUMMARY REPORTS
MOE – Erin Morin, Principal
- As of the 1st day there are 509 students enrolled at MOE.
- A video of the day was shared; from kids getting off the bus to the retirement celebration of Kyle Miller.
- Kids were excited to be in the building and to see their friends and meet their teachers.
CMS – Brian Wood, Principal
- It was great to see all of the kids. With just 3 grades, the 6th and 7th graders have not been in the building when it is full. Brian and Rob spent a lot of time opening lockers with the 6th and 7th
- Building relationships in each classroom.
- There are 16 new students this year with an increase in enrollment of 9 student, for around 311 in grades 6-8.
- Kids ate outside and were excited for new opportunities
- Merick Hill was a star driver today getting all the students home after having a mechanical issue with one of the buses.
HS – Brad Wilson, Principal
- The professional development and team collaboration last week was great preparation for the staff to be ready for the start of school.
- Only 2 masks were given out to students and this was only when students forgot them in the car.
- HS orientation went well for the Freshman with a focus on the CHELAN WAY.
- Chrome books were handed back out.
- New class choices with floral design and Career Connections.
- CHS enrollment may be up 7 students as of today.
CSI – Erik Peterson
- Great 1st day catching up with students.
- Sharing individualized learning with goal setting and visioning.
- Enrollment is up with 5 new students.
- Will be working directly with Thrive on several projects.
Barry thanked Cole Soreano for coming to the board meeting in person. Cole is a candidate for school board in District 1.
Barry shared a presentation with enrollment updates, Parent Meeting on 8/25/21, vaccination exemptions, COVID-19 Screening Flow Chart, and CDHD transmission data from last week.
Barry spoke about vaccinations/exemptions that were recently mandated. He explained that he and Mrs. Burns (HR Director) have been working together with the LCEA, PSE, and legal counsel to develop a process to meet the guidelines outlined by the Governor. He will be arranging personal meetings with the unvaccinated staff and substitutes to go over the district protocol. There is a process for exemption for Medical and Religious/Philosophical reasons. Barry shared the meeting with employees was to lessen the anxiety around the mandate, humanize the process and share appropriate accommodations.
This updated flow chart will be shared with staff and families in the Return to Learn information on the website. Likely there will be more changes to the chart. Whenever updates are received the district will be sure to post them on the website.
Barry thanked Lindsay Wood for requesting a parent meeting to discuss opportunities to ensure students have adequate fresh air considering the mask mandate as well as curriculum concerns. The discussion was productive and included mask breaks, parent access to schools, communication, and various concerns about curriculum and adoption. There were several takeaways and ideas to work on. Principals are working on ways to have more parent advisory meetings over the course of this year.
Lynda and Kim said that it was productive for parents to share ideas with solutions.
Barry shared two different resolutions about curriculum and about staff mandated trainings.
Once adopted, these can be posted on the district website.
Resolution 2021-03 regarding State-Mandated Training for Staff and Board Directors.
Resolution 2021-04 regarding Local Control of Curriculum
Kim moved and Lynda seconded a motion to approve Resolution 2021-03 and Resolution 2021-04 as presented; motion carried.
- Financial Report – Trisha Schock
Trisha went over all of the financial reports and answered questions from the board.
She is grateful to work with the district administration on their budgets and questions.
BOARD POLICY UPDATES
- BP 4311 & Procedure – School Safety and Security Services Program – (third read)
Linda moved and Kim seconded a motion to approve BP 4311 & Procedure as presented; motion carried.
Barry wanted to let the board know there was no SRO (School Resource Officer) contract this year. Chelan County Sheriff Brian Burnett, has chosen not to renew SRO contracts county-wide as there may be a civil liberties issue around the vaccination/exemptions issues within the State. The SRO will come to the school if needed, but there is no contract at this time. This is a county-wide issue with all districts.
Ken moved and Kim seconded a motion to approve the Payables and Payroll as presented; motion carried.
Lynda moved and Kim seconded a motion to approve the Personnel changes as presented; motion carried.
- To discuss the performance of a public employee with no action to be taken. RCW42.30.110
Jeff moved the Board to executive session at 6:45 pm for approximately 30 minutes to discuss the performance of a public employee with no action to be taken.
Jeff Fehr reconvened to regular session and adjourned the meeting at 7:14 pm.
Jeff Fehr, Board Chair Barry DePaoli, Superintendent