LCSD Board Minutes 1/9/2023
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
DATE: January 9, 2023
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Hybrid Meeting (in-person at District Learning Center and online)
PRESENT: Brad Wilson, Kim Thorpe, Stephanie Fuller, Jeff Fehr, Barb Polley, Erik Nelson, Terry Sanders, Tiffany Viall, Jamie Pancho, Erin Morin, Todd Hausman, Scott Granger, Brian Wood, Kirk Marshlain, Salvador Gonzalez, Piper Grossberg, Natalie Islas, James Martin, Tammy Williams, Pat Hammersmith, Melanie Froman, Krystina Nelson, Jody Petersen, Madonna Konshuk, and Georgia Mashayekh
AGENDA ITEMS / PUBLIC COMMENTS
- Call to order
Kim called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
- Public Comments or Request on Non-agenda Items
There were no public comments.
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes – December 12, 2022
- Payables for December 30, 2022 and January 9, 2023
- Payroll for December 2022
Barb moved and Jeff seconded a motion to approve the consent agenda as presented; motion carried.
- FCCLA Family Career and Community Leaders of America- Student Leaders
Piper Grossberg and Natalie Islas gave a presentation about the mission of the club, chapter focuses, regional meeting, pasta classes, Thanksgiving meals, and upcoming events. The members shared what they have learned so far and skills they can take into their future.
- CMS – Brian Wood
Brian shared a presentation sharing information on the school improvement goal, targeted classroom strategies, essential standards, reviewing Pirate Practices, progress monitoring, D/F List (Oct.-Dec.), and updates of athletics and presentations.
- CHS – Jamie Pancho
Jamie shared a presentation with information about student voice and belonging, the process to increase positive perception of CHS, staff, and student work.
MOE / Holden Village – Erin Morin
- Assessments for students with refresher for staff to help students do their best
- Data release time dates with time for teachers to review for better support
- School visits were successful with several implementation styles
- Will visit Zillah at the end of the month
CSI – Terry Sanders
- Getting ready for student exhibitions.
- 88% attendance last week after winter break
- New signage was put up over the break
- January 3rd PD involved the teachers and some time to learn new math curriculum
- Coyote Care updates
- 2nd semester internship opportunities
Teaching & Learning – Tiffany Viall
- 3rd professional development learning day for staff was a success with new strategies for multi-lingual learners
- 5 language trainers in attendance during the day from the NCESD
- Multilingual learners with UDL
- 50 Staff members completed the feedback forms giving positive feedback for the day. More GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition and Design) training is a request from teachers.
Student Services & Inclusion – Kirk Marshlain
- SPED count is 10 percent of student population at LCSD based on FTE counts.
- Review and ensuring protocol to help case managers create and sustain IEP plans in UDL practices.
- Visited a school in Spokane that co-teaches in all-inclusive classrooms.
School Board Appreciation month was celebrated, and board members were thanked for their service.
BOARD POLICIES / ACTION ITEMS
- BP 1250 & Procedure – Students on Gov. Boards – 2nd Read
Brad discussed the changes that he made after discussion with the Board and high school principals. The Board discussed how students would apply for these positions. There were suggested changes to the wording in the last paragraph of the policy.
The Board would like to see this policy cleaned up again at the next meeting.
- BP 1630 – Evaluation of the Superintendent – 1st Read
Brad and the Board discussed the number change of the confidential meetings in the policy and will look at it for a second reading at the next meeting.
- To discuss the qualifications of an applicant for public employment and/or review the performance of a public employee with no action to be taken. RCW42.30.110
Kim moved the Board to Executive Session at 7:02pm for approximately 30 minutes to discuss the qualifications of an applicant for public employment and/or review the performance of a public employee with no action to be taken.
Kim Thorpe reconvened the board to regular session and adjourned the meeting at 7:30 pm.
Kim Thorpe, Board Chair Brad Wilson, Superintendent
Previous01.23.2023 Regular Board Meeting